Friday, April 22, 2016

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon

I am doing a new thing this weekend and participating in a 24 hour Readathon. Let me start off by saying there is a 60% chance I will actually participate for all 24 hours. I will probably not be able to stay up all night but I am going to try to do as much as I can. I have a big pile of books to dip in and out of all day, snacks and comfy clothes so I plan to enjoy a weekend of reading.

This was my possible stack yesterday:


This is my possible stack today:


So clearly I have a problem with way too many books. I will be shocked if I even finish one book. I have already started Stars Above and Eligible because I couldn't wait!

I am planning on posting updates on Twitter, Instagram and occasionally doing an update here. I am excited to see how this goes. Good luck to everyone else participating! Check back tomorrow for more.

9:00 am
Well the first hour of the Readathon is in the books (pun intended).
I had a pretty rough night of sleep so naps will definitely be in order today.



I started out this morning with a berry and kale smoothie. It is an absolutely delicious concoction with a hint of basil. Sadly, I forget to get bananas so that was missing from the smoothie. I am finishing up Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld this morning and while making my breakfast was listening to Stars Above on audiobook. I love the Overdrive app so that I can check out audiobooks from the library.




This is where I will be reading today. This is my favorite reading corner. I plan to switch it up throughout the day but this will probably be my primary spot. It's full of light and the chair is so comfortable.




I hope everyone else is having a great start to Readathon! I can't wait to check in on social media later today.



Opening Meme
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Atlanta, Georgia
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Jane Steele!
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? Cheese and chocolate!
4) Tell us a little something about yourself!I love reading obviously, am a photographer and have four sisters who are my absolute best friends.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? This is my first Readathon and I am most looking forward to reading lots and interacting with other people who love reading as much as I do.

Top 5 Bookish Childhood moments:
1. Discovering Maud Hart Lovelace by reading Betsy's Wedding which is the LAST book in the Betsy-Tacy series. I fell in love with Betsy and her world instantly. I was obsessed with weddings at the time and I picked it up at the library because of the 1914 bride on the cover. (spoiler alert I am now a wedding photographer :-) To this day Maud Hart Lovelace is my favorite author.
2. The best thing about being a kid was going to the library and my sisters and I would get giant stacks of books. Our librarians loved us and knew we would finish the books in two weeks and be back for more. I still get joy from going to the same library and seeing books I read as a child.
3. The times I bought books with my own money. I really didn't get to buy books that often but I remember every time. I still have most of those books. I remember saving up and buying all the Anne of Green Gables books one at a time. I also remember buying the Margo books through a mail order catalog and the thrill of opening that box full of shiny, new books.
4. Every day at lunch my mom, four sisters and I would sit around our big farm house style table and read while eating.
5. I remember getting in trouble and having my books taken away as punishment.

1:00 pm
Just checking in! I have been trying to stay off social media because I have found it is too distracting. I was going to check in every few hours but I think I will limit it more.
I finished Elgible and it was absolutely hilarious. I really enjoyed it. My next read of the day is Wedding in the Family by Rosamund Du Jardin. I also broke into my first snacks of the day! I thought I should start with the healthy snacks ha ha. 

Rosamund Du Jardin wrote books in the 1950s and they are absolutely delightful young adult books. They are funny and charming. I am also taking a few breaks and listening to Stars Above on audio to give my eyes a little break. I am enjoying all the stories about the characters before the Lunar Chronicles begin. I made a very unhealthy, but delicious, pepperoni pizza for lunch which I kindly shared with my husband. Now back to reading!

4:00 pm
I finished Wedding in the Family. I really enjoyed Tobey finally marrying Brose and am interested to read more of her sister Midge's stories. The next book I started is The Perfect Paragon, an Agatha Raisin book. I also whipped up a batch of delicious salted caramel brownies. 
I only have three stories left to listen to in Stars Above and then I will start listening to Jane Eyre on audiobook. My eyes were starting to get a little tired so I headed outside with a Buffy the Vampire Slayer graphic novel. It's nice to have a location change. I am starting to think I got too many snacks and won't even be able to eat them all. Perish the thought.
8:30 pm
Well I attempted to take a nap around four but it didn't really work out. So I took a relaxing walk around my neighborhood while listening to Stars Above. It is an absolutely gorgeous evening. 
I finally reached the stories in Stars Above that occur after Winter and I love catching up with where my favorite characters have ended up. I also am loving my Agatha Raisin book. Sometimes I just am in the mood for those formulaic books that are almost always the same with just a few details changed. Agatha Raisin is so predictable but those books always make me laugh. I love all the new characters now that she is running a detective agency. I switched to reading in my sunroom to give myself a change of scenery. My dog is not happy with how much I am reading and not paying him attention. 

I have decided to forgo dinner and just eat all my snacks that I planned on munching on throughout the day. But I really haven't been that hungry. I will now have to chug water the rest of the night because I just ate so much salt. But it was delicious. 
12:30 pm
Well I made it past midnight. I don't even know what hour I am on because math is too hard right now. I have informed my husband he is not to wake me up tomorrow upon pain of death. I have finished four books and one graphic novel so far. I am one chapter away from finishing my audiobook, Stars Above. I had a Coke around 6 and it's definitely giving me bursts of energy as I am so not used to caffeine anymore. 

I started and finished On The Way Home which is the diary of the trip Laura Ingalls Wilder made from DeSmet to her final hometown in Missouri. It was a really quick read and I enjoyed it with all the LIW books I have been reading lately. I found it so interesting how she described the field conditions and prices of land. That was important information to them and it's so cool to read details like that in 2016.

I am definitely starting to lag a little so it's time for some chocolate and to read a Ramona book. I probably am going to try to nap for a few hours and then continue. I really don't want to go to sleep and then just wake back up at six or seven. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the night (morning?) will go! 

2:30 pm
I finished Stars Above. I liked the collection of stories. Not a lot of new information but still enjoyable. Ramona and Her Father is a Newbery Award winner and reading it as an adult was different. It was a surprisingly serious book with Ramona's father losing his job and her trying to get him to stop smoking. My poor eyes are a little tired so I listened to my Jane Eyre audiobook for awhile. I just started The Geography of You and Me by Jennnifer E. Smith. I am thinking I might nap for a couple of hours. I do have all day to sleep tomorrow if need be but I feel like I will enjoy this readathon more if I am reading because I want to and not just to stay awake all 24 hours! 

6 am 
I took a nap for a couple of hours and have been listening to the Jane Eyre audiobook since I woke up. It is a Librivox audiobook. If you don't know what Librivox is they are an organization that uses volunteer readers to record public domain audiobooks. I love being able to listen to hours and hours of classic audiobooks. Of course these are not professional readers so sometimes you can get terrible readers. But it really is just a wonderful organization and if I had a better voice I would love to be a reader. I thought I would listen to Jane Eyre before I read Jane Steele. Ok back to reading for the next two hours! I will check back in when it's over.


Wrap Up!




After getting a few hours sleep this morning I am ready to do my Dewey's 24 Hour Marathon Wrap Up!

Books Completed:

1. Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld
2. The Perfect Paragon by M.C. Beaton
3. Wedding in the Family by Rosamund Du Jardin 
4.  Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Graphic novel) Twilight by Brad Meltzer 
5. On the Way Home by Laura Ingalls Wilder
6. Buffy the Vampire Slayer (graphic novel) The Gleaming by Joss Whedon

Currently Reading:

1. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
2. The Geography of Me and You by Jennifer E. Smith

Reading Time: Approx. 21 hours. I took a much needed nap from 2:50 am-5:15 am.

Page Count: 1295

Audiobook Time: 8 hours

This was my first Readathon and I absolutely loved it! I made sure to pick a lot of short reads and audiobooks so that I would not get burned out by one book. I did much better than I thought I would do. I honestly thought I would fall asleep most of the night so I am happy that I stayed up for almost all of the readathon. I tried not to check in on social media too much. I ended up going to the Facebook group only once because there were so many posts but tried to check into Twitter every few hours. I only ended up entering a few of the mini challenges because at the end I just wanted to read. Thanks to everyone who cheered for me on Twitter. It was a great event and props to the organizers and hosts. I am looking forward to the October event and hoping to get my sisters involved. What was your favorite part of the readathon and what was one must read book you read? Answer in the comments below! My favorite part was the books and food and my must read book is Elgible. I hope everyone gets lots of rest today!


No comments:

Post a Comment